Our present church on Croydon Flyover (originally Friends Road) was
built between 1958 and 1959 (see our history page).
The architects (were David Evelyn Nye and Partners.
The building is described in
Unitarian Heritage, page 106, as follows:
Brick and concrete, meeting-house style with large window divided by
mullions. Good use of site with central garden surrounded by chapel, covered
walkway and hall. Large vestibule with stairway and upper landing leads to
chapel. High ceiling, strong light from full-length windows; back gallery.
Focus is on front wall, with mural incorporating words from the Wisdom of
Solomon and stained glass windows by Laurence Lee.
In the church, there are three windows towards which the congregation
looks, and beneath the windows is a central symbolic mural in relief. These
are intended to represent the emphasis in our free faith on the reality and
power of the spirit or inner light.
Both mural and windows were designed for the church by
(1909-2011), of the Royal College of Art, who was also chief designer of the
famous windows for the new Coventry Cathedral. The artist gave deep thought
to a Unitarian understanding of God as the universal spirit of life and
light inspiring every living soul.
Lawrence Lee explained his own work: "The design of the mural is meant to
suggest a canopy or tent (to represent the passing world) sustained by the
eternal spirit. The eye should be drawn to the Centre of the Light, then
immediately projected out again to its various manifestations. Light, being
a kind of energy, is the nearest we can get to the essential nature of the